It is estimated there is 6.7 million tons of food waste in the UK every year, 6.7 million. That is just an insane amount of food to be throwing away, not only are we wasting money but the whole process of producing the food and everything that goes with it is wasted.
Over the last few years, we have tried to cut down our food waste, it has got better for us, but it could be so much better still.
Since we have been working on our food waste, I try really hard to use up leftovers in our meal plan for the next week or as a traybake. Our leftover chicken curry is a great way to use up leftovers. Pasta sauce is also a great way to use up some ingredients too. I asked the blogging community for some tips on how they cut food waste, hopefully, some of this will give you a little inspiration.
10 Tips on how to cut your food waste
- Stop Peeling Your Veggies! – Crumpets and Cocktails
Keeping the skin on vegetables helps cut down on food waste and can provide extra nutrients, for example, potato skins are full of fibre. If you really do have to peel then don’t let it go to waste. Bake carrot and parsnip peel in the oven for tasty vegetable crisps, use leaves and stalks to make stock or boil up everything into a tasty soup.
- Meal plan – Exploring Dorset
We meal plan according to what we have left in the fridge and freezer. This helps me research new recipes to try and also stops me from throwing away half the veg drawer at the end of the week.
- Cook what you need –bestroastdinners.com
Only cook what you need, if you have a pack of 8 sausages and you really only need 4, take 4 out and wrap up the others in a freezer bag and save for another day, but don’t forget to write on the bag when you froze them!
- Understand the difference between ‘best before’ and ‘use by’ – beemoneysavvy.com
- Portion your meat out before freezing – www.theswaneffectmum.com
- Keep citrus fruits in your fridge – www.curtainpic.site
- Freeze ginger and garlic to freeze directly from the freezer – Www.jupiterhadley.com
- Use your freezer to keep items you might not use before they go out of date – https://thegreenshilling.com/
- Bulk cooking to save cooking on busy days – homeofseven.co.uk
- Freeze fruit for milkshakes – Https://www.healthyvix.com