If you are looking for a sweet treat, with minimal effort and a delicious sugary kick then this is the recipe for you.
We only discovered how to make the chocolate crispy cakes at home during the lockdown, we had been missing out before then! This recipe is not only easy to make, it takes up minimal ingredients, most of which you can store in the cupboard.
The basics for a good rice crispy cake are:
- Rice Krispies or a supermarket own brand
- Mini marshmallows
Then from here, you can use whatever you like! If you are after just simple cakes, simple top with melted chocolate. If you are looking for something a little different, you can add Mars Bars as we have or maybe even a sprinkle of popping candy if you are after something extra special. The choice really is yours.
It doesn’t take much effort either, so the kids can get involved and help out with it all too.
Right, back to the important bit.
How to make these Delicious Mars Bar rice crispy cakes
Top tips –
- Using a metal spoon when spreading the crispy cake base makes it easier to compact down. The mixture will be quite sticky so it is easier to move with the metal spoon rather than anything else
- When you are melting the chocolate and Mars Bars for the topping, you may find it needs a little boiling water to help break it down. The caramel and nougat can make it a little clumpy and it just needs a little help to smooth it out.
- Play around with the chocolate toppings, by using your favourite chocolate bar you can create some amazing treats.
- Make sure the topping is set before you try to cut the bars. If it is too soft, you will find it difficult to cut it properly.
These really are delicious and so simple to make. It is one of those treats we rustle up when we are in a sweety mood. They last for 5-6 days quite well, after this the rice crispy start to go a little soft.
If you have enjoyed this recipe, don’t forget to check out the rest of our sweet recipes.